Re: THIS IS HOT!!!

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 1997 - 09:30:25 EST

If you want to help stop this kind of spam, I have the following suggestions:

1. Send mail to the postmaster of the original site. In this case, since the
mail came from IDEAS1948@aol.com, send a copy of the original mail to
postmaster@aol.com. It is helpful if lots of people do this, since it puts
pressure on the postmaster to do something.

2. Make sure that your message to the postmaster includes the original Cc:
list so that the postmaster can see this indication of the extent of the abuse.

3. Do *not* send messages to everyone from the original Cc: list! That just
perpetuates the spam - and this time, *you* are the spammer!

4. Also send a complaint back to the original sender. This might bounce, but
it is worth a try. Flooding the original sender with complaints is useful.
Send one complaint the first time. If the spammer persists, and your mailer
lets you easily copy messages, send 10 the second time, 64 the third
time...and make sure you notify the postmaster each time.

I'm not sure what else can be done, but this seems like a good start for me.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com