Re: Romans 7:13 hINA GENHTAI KAQ hUPERBOLHN AMARTWLOS hH AMARTIA DIA THS ENTOLHS

From: Ronald Wong (dogtoy@isgroup.net)
Date: Tue Feb 18 1997 - 11:36:34 EST

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> Romans 7:13 has this phrase, which I find incomprehensible:
>
> hINA GENHTAI KAQ hUPERBOLHN AMARTWLOS hH AMARTIA DIA THS ENTOLHS
>
> I think that the phrase KAQ hUPERBOLHN AMARTWLOS is throwing me for a loop
> here. What does this phrase mean in this context? As I'm currently reading
> it, it says "so that sin should become (hINA GEHTAI hH AMARTIA) according to
> excessive sinfulness (KAQ hUPERBOLHN AMARTWLOS) through the law (DIA THS
> ENTOLHS)", and I keep wondering *what* sin should become according to
> excessive sinfulness.
>
> Am I misunderstanding the way the word KAQ is being used here?
>
> Jonathan

I believe the KAQ here is emphatic.--"in order that the sin 'might come
to be' (genetai) completely(KAQ) exceedingly sinful by or through the
law."
Again, I refer to D&M on the emphatic use of the prep.
The context would bear this out, as well as, the meaning of hUPERBOLHN.

ok there goes another rambling.

R.Wong
O'Brien, FL.