MONOGONHS - Private

From: Wes.Williams@twcable.com
Date: Wed Mar 19 1997 - 17:40:29 EST

Dear Carl,

Could you please *briefly* explain to me the various postures that people
are taking theologically on MONOGONHS? I see a lot of rebuttal, but the
issues as to what some are arguing in favor of are still unclear to me in
some areas. I think it would be clearer to me if I understood the
underlying theology and I trust that in your experience you understand (or
have been exposed to) the various postures. These are the postures I see
thus far:

- Unique with no idea of birth. This would make Jesus the 'only god (1:18)/
Son(3:16) of his kind.' This is what I understand your position to be and I
wish to make sure I understand it clearly.

- Beloved based on the LXX Gen 22:16 rendering/ Heb 11. No idea of birth.

- Unique and idea of birth (1). This would make Jesus the first Son
directly "birthed/created" by God and then all other "sons of God" were
"birthed/created" by God but through Jesus.

- Unique and idea of birth (2). This is what I think I understand least,
but I am not sure I know what I don't know. I see lots of argumentation
that Jesus was "birthed." But are they arguing that this was on the earth
in Luke 2:7? Or is the position one that the Son of God was (for lack of a
better term,) "spawned"/ "generated" from the Father in the beginning and
that this makes him MONOGONHS? Or are both positions being espoused by
various persons?

I see the arguments but do not see what is behind the argument.

Thanks very much.
Wes

P.S. If you are ever in Denver area, please do let me know in advance.