Re: Intensive koine Greek

From: Sara R. Johnson (srjo@uhura.cc.rochester.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 23 1997 - 15:54:15 EST

>We are planning to teach intensive koine Greek next fall, covering as much as
>possible in one semester so the students can read the N.T. or other koine texts
>in the spring term. Any ideas about which textbook would be best for this?
>Thanks in advance. J.Reedy

I also might be teaching New Testament Greek for the first time next year,
so I would be interested in seeing answers to this!

I have just been spending some time searching the web for information on
Koine Greek, with only limited success. I did find one site which was
helpful:

http://www2.thechristian.org/thechristian/LrnGreek/fstart.htm

(For those with older browsers, there are both framed & non-framed versions.)

This site presents an online overview of NT Greek, but also has a section
recommending various NT Greek grammars and study aids. FWIW, the textbooks
recommended by the author of this site include:

David Allen Black, *Learn to Read New Testament Greek* (Broadman Press)
William D. Mounce, *Basics of Biblical Greek* (Zondervan)

I would be interested to hear comments from those who have actually taught
with these or other books.

In addition to the textbook question, I have some other questions:

1. Does the mailing list NT-GREEK still exist? I have been unable to
subscribe to the (rather old) address that I have for it, and the List of
Mailing Lists at Maria Pantelia's site has been inaccessible for the last
two days.

2. Are there any good online resources for the study & teaching of NT
Greek that I've missed? Is there a site or FAQ somewhere that would
collect a list of these online resources?

3. Can anyone recommend a good mail-order company or bookstore for this
subject? Rochester has only one small divinity school bookshop in town,
and it would be nice to have other resources to turn to.

If list members feel that this subject should be taken to private e-mail or
discussed elsewhere, I would really appreciate being included in the loop!

Thanks much!

Sara R. Johnson
Department of Religion and Classics
University of Rochester