Re: etymologies

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 01 1997 - 20:49:57 EST

At 6:49 PM -0600 4/1/97, Lynn A Kauppi wrote:
>Colleagues
>
>I am aware that TO STEMMA and hO STEPHANOS overlap somewhat in meaning;
>both can mean "garland" or "wreath." Am I correct in assuming, that
>despite this overlap in meaning, the two words are etymologically
>unrelated? Is there a good reference book to check Greek etymologies? I
>need this info for a dissertation footnote.

No: the two words are unquestionably cognates;STEMMA is an "object-noun"
formed from the verb root STEF- and the element -MA(T) with consonantal
assimilation of the Phi of the verb root to the Mu of the nominal formative
element. STEFANOS (we use F for Phi) is a noun from the same root; the
later STEFANOW is a verb derived from STEFANOS that means exactly the same
thing as STEFW: to wreathe, encircle, put a garland on, even to fill up a
winebowl to the brim so that the surface of the bowl appears as a STEFANOS.
There are etymological dictionaries, but they are in many respects not
trustworthy. In this instance I'd go to the latest
Liddell-Scott-Jones-Glare unabridged lexicon (just published last year) and
check these words for the etymology. I think that's really the most
authoritative source currently available. A somewhat older edition of the
lexicon is on line at the Perseus web site at Tufts.

(314) 935-4018