Re: terminology...

From: Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri May 09 1997 - 00:16:39 EDT

At 9:14 AM -0400 5/8/97, Mari Broman Olsen wrote regarding the term
'Aktionsart' (with my editing between []:

>I reject the term precisely because of the bewildering mixture [OF USES IN
>THE TRADITIONAL GRAMMARS]: if I
>were to use it, I would call to mind Robertson, etc. Another good
>reason to reject it is etymology: I am not concerned with kind of
>action, but with how an action or state is represented in the lexical
>and grammatical inventory of a language.

Thank you, Mari, for this clarification. I'm sorry I didn't remember (I
*have* read your thesis and learned a great deal from it!).

Micheal W. Palmer
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College

mwpalmer@earthlink.net