Re: 1John 2:19

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun May 11 1997 - 09:26:12 EDT

At 2:35 AM -0400 5/11/97, John M. Moe wrote:
>At. 1John 2:19 MEMENHKEISAN is an indicative describing a situation
>which the context plainly shows to be contrary to fact. I would expect a
>subjunctive form here. What am I missing?

What you are missing is the fact that contrary-to-fact conditions take an
indicative in Greek, normally an imperfect (present counterfactual) or an
aorist (past counterfactual)--but one find, as in this instance, a
PLUPERFECT indicative in place of the aorist

--and by the way, what do the geeks say about the ABSENCE OF AN AUGMENT on
this particular pluperfect INDICATIVE? Omission of the augument on a
pluperfect indicative is something we have noticed is not uncommon,
although it is also not the rule. Is it conceivable that the fact this is
in a counterfactual condition that this pluperfect indicative happens not
to be augmented? I don't know that there's any way whatsoever to answer
this question, but it's one that occurred to me anyhow.

(314) 935-4018