What is a Greek Sentence?

From: Clayton Bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jun 03 1997 - 06:33:23 EDT

Can anyone provide a rigorous definition of a Koine Greek sentence exclusively in terms
of syntax? I am specifically looking for a definition that contrasts a sentence to a clause
in terms of syntax.

Assume that you are reading a long span of text without punctuation, and you are looking
for discourse markers at the sentence and clause level. What syntactical indicators mark
a Greek sentence and how is it distinguished from a Greek clause?

*********

Background Information

I have for several years been attempting to do discourse analysis on large sections of
text, e.g., Hebrews, Romans, 1John, Ecclesiastes (LXX). My current working model of a K.
Greek clause seems to be adequate but I am fuzzy on sentences.

The model of discourse analysis I am using was obtained from several sources including:
Peter Cotterell and Max Turner (Linguistics and Biblical Interpretation, InterVarsity
1989), S.E. Porter (Idioms), R. Young (Intermediate), and others.

 Clay Bartholomew
 Three Tree Point