Re: Thiering Conjecture

From: Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 18 1997 - 10:00:05 EDT

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Nagase wrote:

> Doesn't someone in this list take serious the Thiering Conjecture? > It
seems that so far most responses to your question have been content to
state only *that* no scholar takes Thiering seriously without noting *why*
this is so. For this, I'd avise that you look at the brief but searing
critique of Thiering's method and conclusions contained in N.T. Wright's
little (but valuable!) book, _Who Was Jesus?_. As Wright points out,
Thiering doesn't know pesher from pommegranites (my summary), so her
alleged discovery of pesher in the Gospels, let alone how she then gets to
her conclusions about what the text allegedly *really* says, is wrong from
the start.

My own response is that her reconstruction cannot be falsified, so it is
worthless.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu