ACTS 5:29 clause order in D is puzzling

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Jun 20 1997 - 06:41:10 EDT

Clayton Bartholomew wrote:

>Following the punctuation of Ropes who places the
>period after ANQRWPOIS, the whole verse reads:
>
>PEIQARCEIN DE QEO MALLON H ANQRWPOIS. O DE PETROS
>EIPEN PROS AUTOUS . . .
>
>Is there some other way of dealing with this reading?
>Can the clause PEIQARCEIN DE QEO MALLON H ANQRWPOIS be
>construed as part of the following speech of Peter
>when the words are in this order?

To me, the real problem is that period, which was added by Ropes. Take it
out, and replace it with a comma: PEIQARCEIN DE QEO MALLON H ANQRWPOIS, hO
DE PETROS EIPEN PROS AUTOUS - "we must obey God rather than men", said Peter
to him, "the God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had killed by
hanging on a cross..."

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com