ANQRWPOS?ANHR

From: porson (porson@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 1997 - 10:24:27 EDT

This isn't the NT, but you will find the anthropic (?) woman in Herodotus
1.60: ...KAI <hOI> EN TWi ASTEI PEIQOMENOI THN GUNAIKA EINAI AUTHN THN
QEON PROSEUXONTA TE THN ANQRWPON KAI EDEKONTO PEISISTRATON.

In 2.74 (and elsewhere) is the use of ANQRWPOS (pl.) as a generic term
for mankind: EISI DE PERI QHBAS hIROI OFIES, ANQRWPWN OUDAMWS DHLHMONES...

In 7.210 there is this elegant distinction: DHLON D'EPOIEUN PANTI TEWi
KAI OUK hHKISTA AUTWi BASILEI hOTI POLLOI MEN ANQRWPOI EIEN, OLIGOI DE
ANDRES.

In 4.106 the Father of History waxes anthropological on dietary habits:
ANDROFAGOI DE AGRIWTATA PANTWN ANQRWPWN EXOUSI HQEA, OUTE DIKHN
NOMIZONTES OUTE NOMWi OUDENI XREWMENOI. NOMADES DE EISI, ESQHTA TE
FOREOUSI THi SKUQIKHi OMOIHN, GLWSSAN DE IDIHN <EXOUSI>, ANQRWPOFAGEOUSI
DE MOUNOI TOUTWN. Do we have here a documented instance of culturally
determined ambivalence among the ANDROFAGOI ANQRWPOFAGEONTES? I would
have thought that true ANDROFAGOI would only be ANDROFAGEONTES.

I guess, in the final analysis, old Herodotus would be in agreement with
Theresa List J on the wisdom of determining translation or equivalence in
context, even though we are snared, between text and critical apparatus,
in the editorial mystery of ANQRWPOFAGEOUSI and ANDROFAGEOUSI.