Re: Revelation and Fourth Gospel

From: Lemuel G. Abarte (bbot@ksc.th.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 11:25:59 EDT

What about the personal statement in Rev. 1:9? If this guy was not the
Apostle John, who was he then and what is he doing in the isle of Patmos?
Was he a prominent personality so as to be in a position to be exiled? His
prominence should prompt the believers to note of his authority in the
local churches. Any letter would be regarded spurious if there is no
apostolic authorship. Leaders of the early church do not enjoy authority
over all churches other than the apostles. Shouldn't we also give weight
to the tradition of Johanine authorship? It is to be noted that the seven
letters enjoyed a wide circulation amongst the early Christians in Asia
Minor. One aspect of acceptance of the writings is the indelible stamp of
apostolic authority carried by these letters. In the light of the debate
on canonicity, it is highly doubtful that these early Christians would
accept an author unknown to most of them, particularly in the period when
most of the apostles had died and religious persecution was on the rise.
The proximity of the early Church Fathers who attested to the Johanine
authorship should be considered. After all, the books of the NT bear a
stamp of an apostle's approval. We could also surmise that John wrote
directly without the assistance of a scribe, hence the nature and style of
a non-Greek writer! But the similarity to prophetic writing of the Old
Testament like Ezekiel is pretty striking! We could even consider that the
author was well read in the OT Scriptures!
---------

http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
http://www.poet.com