Re: Revelation and Fourth Gospel

From: Andrew Kulikovsky (killer@cryogen.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 1997 - 08:58:00 EDT

Edward Hobbes wrote:
> More plausible might be something like Josephus's writing--some of it,
> written in his crabbed and grossly Semitic Greek, he put in the hands of
> his assistants, and had them rewrite it in good Greek. In the case of John
> and Revelation, that would have to imply that John wrote Revelation himself,
> but had an editor fix up the Gospel into more acceptable Greek.
>
> I don't believe it for a moment, but I don't understand the alternative.
> That more than one John existed in the early Church is surely plausible--
> look at how many Jameses there were, for example. And John/Jochanan
> is pretty common as a name for Jews--witness that the "founder" of the
> Yavneh Rabbinical Seminary was named John, son of Zacchaeus.

I don't why you don't believe it and you didn't say...

You seem to be either forgetting or maybe you haven't even read some of
the good suggestions made by others on this list:

Robert Petry wrote:
> Has it ever been considered that Revelation is written with this idea
> presented up front? "The revelation of Yahshua..." and not of John, and
> that therefore most of the writing is of quotes transcribed by John.
> Obviously, if this is true, then Revelation would obviously appear
> different from the Gospel or Catholic Epistles of John.

In support of Robert Petry's suggestion there is 14 places in Revelation
where John is instructed to write somethings as dictated...

cheers,
Andrew