Luke 11:4 KAI MH EISENEGKHiS hHMAS EIS PEIRASMON

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Jun 28 1997 - 17:02:57 EDT

Luke 11:4 KAI MH EISENEGKHiS hHMAS EIS PEIRASMON

I grew up saying "and lead us not into temptation", but doesn't this
translate more literally into "do not bring us into temptation"? Regardless,
what exactly does it mean? Is it a prayer that God will not bring us into
temptation, as though God is the one who brings us into temptation, and we
are asking him not to? Somehow, I'm not convinced that I'm reading this
correctly...

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com