Re: Luke 11:4 KAI MH EISENEGKHiS hHMAS EIS PEIRASMON

From: Robert J. Petry, C.L. (Ambassador@sisna.com)
Date: Sun Jun 29 1997 - 23:05:59 EDT

Paul S. Dixon wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jun 1997 18:25:23 -0400 Jonathan Robie
> <jwrobie@mindspring.com> writes:
> >OK, once again I'm really impressed by how much y'all know, and I'm
> >really
> >grateful for all that you've said. I have now gone from having no
> >reasonable
> >way to interpret it to having too many reasonable ways to interpret
> >it, and
> >they keep coming!
> >
> >Jonathan:
>
> If we assume that the apparent meaning of this verse is that
> God may lead us into temptation, if we don't ask Him not to, then
> we do have a problem. This, or course, is contradicted by Js. 1:13
> where we are told God tempts no man.

(snip)

> Sincerely,
>
> Paul S. DIxon

Without going into a lot of detail, may I suggest there is a difference
between temptation and trial/test. The Father constantly tests us, but
He does not tempt us. Abraham, for instance, was tested over his son, he
certainly was not tempted. Comments might be appropriate here, if
desired, on the Greek for tempting and testing, or trying. So, "lead us
not into temptation" , not "lead us not into trials"?Robert J. Petry,
C.L.