SIGATW in 1 Cor 14:34

From: R. D. Dickson (asaint@iamerica.net)
Date: Fri Jun 27 1997 - 15:38:09 EDT

>Theresa J List, Dcs writes:

>> Anyhow, there were most certainly women prophetesses, like Anna, for
>> example who SPOKE (LALEIN! Look it up!) in the temple! So, women are
>> not to speak (LALEIN, 1 Co 14:34) in the assembly, but, of course, Anna
>> did this with God's sanction. Or, 1 Cor. 11:5, a mere few hundred words
>> before the injunction against speaking in 1 co 14, where women are to
>> prophesy with their heads covered. I refuse to believe that either God
>> or Paul are schizofrenic, erego I know there is some way to understand
>> these as not contradictory.

With respect to the apparent contradiction in Paul's instruction in I
Corinthians, I wonder if the solution doesn't lie in different settings of
worship between I Cor. 11:1-16 and I Cor. 11:17-14:40? A structural marker
of change might lie in the language of 11:17-18a touto de paraggellwn ouk
epainw oti ouk eis to kreisson alla eis to hsson sunerxesthe. prwton men
gar sunerxomenwn umwn en ekklhsia. . . when seen in relation to and in
contrast to 11:2 epainw de umas oti panta mou memnhsthe kai kathws paredwka
umin tas paradoseis katexete. There is clearly a shift in Paul's level of
approval of Corinthian practice, perhaps there is a shift in setting of
worship in view as well. If Paul is at pains to make it clear that he is
raising the issue of the corporate worship of the church in 11:17-18 (en
ekklhsia), perhaps we can conclude that some other type of meeting is in
view in 11:1-16.

Bill+

The Rev. Dr. R. William Dickson
Chaplain of All Saint Episcopal School, Tyler
wk asaint@iamerica.net
hm caregrp@ballistic.com