Re: LASCW MESOS

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 06 1997 - 23:24:22 EDT

On Sun 6 Jul 97 (19:29:32 +0800), Steven scox@ns1.chinaonline.com.cn.net
 wrote:
> is LASCW MESOS in Acts 1:18
>  (a) a medical term (cf "rupture")
>  (b) an idiom (cf "break down")
>  (c) equivalent to LASCW EN MESWi / EIS MESON
>  by abbreviation from LASCW MESOS AUTWN

 Well, I'm not a doctor, and I'm not a professor of Greek. But first: it can't
 be LASCW (sic; you mean LASKW?) because ELAKHSEN is from LAKA/W, to burst
 apart, not LASKW, ELAKHSA, to crash.

 IMHO it can't be a medical hernia, which is typically caused by excessive
 coughing, or excessive straining at stools due to constipation, or excessive
 heavy manual labour such as lifting and manhandling heavy objects.

 I've been told that victims of judicial (or suicidal) hanging defecate
 themselves as their neck breaks. This may have been what befell Judas; is
 EKLASEN MESOS meant to be taken literally or figuratively?

 Could MESOS "midriff" be a polite euphemism for the anus or back passage?
 Or could Dr Luke the beloved physician mean that his KOILIA burst open in the
 region of the umbilicus? Children sometimes get a paraumbilical or an
 epigastric hernia; but not adults, who suffer inguinal or femoral hernias.

 MESOS is an adjective which agrees in gender, number and case with the noun
 it qualifies. It can stand on its own as an adjectival noun; maybe this is
 what we have here. hOUTOS is the subject of the verb EKTHSATO "acquired
 purchase of"; MESOS could be the subject of the verb ELAKHSEN, "[his] midriff
 burst". The personal pronoun is redundant with parts of the body; we're not
 talking about someone else's midriff.

 The neuter form MESON appears used an an adverb, notably in the Luke 23:45
 passage that you quote (the veil of the Temple torn "in the midst"). Here
 MESON could not be the subject of the verb ESCISQE.

 There is no MSS evidence for MESON as opposed to MESOS in the text of Acts
 1:18. PRHNHS GENOMENOS means "having fallen forward"; not "falling headlong".
 Judas' MESOS, having distended forwards, burst open? Did the suicidal Judas
 commit hara kiri, and slash his abdomen before jumping? Matthew 27:5 simply
 says KAI APELQWN APHGXATO.

 The death of Judas is a well-known target of Bible debunkers.

 What do others think?

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA Bristol, 1963 (hons in Theology)
 <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>