Re: Jack's website

From: Andrew Kulikovsky (anku@celsiustech.se)
Date: Tue Sep 23 1997 - 11:56:31 EDT

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Jonathan Robie wrote:

> At 03:17 PM 9/23/97 +1000, McKay family wrote:
>
> >If you haven't seen Jack Kilmon's Scriptorium, it is worth a look.
> >http://users.accesscomm.net/scriptorium/
> >
> >It contains reproductions of a few favourite texts in what Jack believes
> >may have been their original forms. He gives some interesting information
> >about each one, and has each available for sale on papyrus!
>
> I am curious about his methodology. How can you produce a reconstruction of
> Jesus' words in Aramaic that is more accurate than the earlier texts we have
> in Greek?

A better question is why the heck would you want to?

The (incredibly well documented) canon of scripture we have is the inspired
word of God not some theoretical reconstruction...

I'm sure Aramaic has its place in the fields of lexicography, philology
and possibly textual criticism but reconstructing Jesus words into
Aramaic - well it reminds me of Erasmus using the Latin Vulgate
to backtranslate some verses in Revelation into Greek because his
manuscripts didn't have those verses.

It also reminds of the Jesus Seminar....what did Jesus *really* say?

I could think of about 1000 things I'd rather do with my time, of
which number one is reading the Greek New Testament.

cheers,
Andrew