Re: 1Thess. 4:14, what about dia?

From: JAdkins264@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 09 1997 - 08:21:35 EDT

Thank you for your responses.
I appreciate the chance to learn from someone such as you. Most of my study
of Greek I have done on my own and am not as well schooled as you. I am in
agreement with you as to not understanding how the NIV & KJV can construe the
Greek to mean what they say and that is why I was looking for an alternative.
 If I may, please allow me to ask a even more stupid question. Why must DIA
be used with the accusative to show purpose and not the genitive? I also
agree that the reference is not necessarily limited to martyrs, to me though
"for the sake of" does not require that, although I can see how you could
come away with that idea. The idea of agency may be the best alternative as
I understand it now, however, I would like to know for my benefit, why the
accusative.

Jay Adkins
JAdkins264@aol.com