Re: Lk 22:70, LEGETE hOTI EGW EIMI

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 16 1997 - 22:38:59 EDT

On Sun 12 Oct 97 (20:06:13), cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu wrote:
> At 7:41 PM -0500 10/12/97, Paul S. Dixon wrote:
> >When Jesus was asked:
> > 1) SU OUN EI hO hIOS TOU QEOU (Lk 22:70),
> > 2) SU EI hO BASILEUS TWN IOUDAIWN (Lk 23:3),
> >
> >He responded respectively,
> > 1) hUMEIS LEGETE hOTI EGW EIMI, and
> > 2) SU LEGEIS.

 Am I missing something here, or is Jesus not merely responding to the
 serious charges of Blasphemy by saying, "That's what YOU allege; [now prove
 it]" with his hUMAIS LEGETE... and his SU LEGEIS ?

 They had no witnesses (save false witnesses) as to what He had said. So the
 High Priest adjured him by the strongest possible oath, SU EI hO CRISTOS
 hO hUIOS TOU EULOGHTOU; Jesus was forced to answer EGW EIMI: with all that
 that implied concerning the I AM THAT I AM of Exodus 3:14 (Mark 14:61-62;
 compare Matthew 26:63).

 Western jurisprudence does not allow the prosecution to force an accused to
 incriminate himself out of his own mouth. The "right to silence" is written
 into our law. But at Jesus' trial there was no defence counsel to cry
 "Object!". As a sheep that before its shearers is dumb, so he opened not
 his mouth (Isaiah 53:7).

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
 <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>