(no subject)

From: Cees van Veelen (cvveelen@ichthus.lifenet.nl)
Date: Thu Oct 30 1997 - 21:35:50 EST

James H. Vellenga" wrote:
> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:32:23 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Mark 3:21 - hOI PAR) AUTOU

> The phrase hOI PAR) AUTOU in Mark 3:21 is a bit of a puzzle
> to me -- and perhaps to translators as well:

> KJV -- "his friends"
> NIV -- "his family"
> NASB -- "his own people" (footnote "his own kinsmen")

> Is this known to be a Greek idiom? A quick glance through the
> Fribergs' concordance of the Greek NT didn't find anything
> really comparable. Is there anything in the Septuagint or other
> old Greek writings that gives people a clue?

For example: In the first book of Maccabee you find:

hOI PARA TOU BASIEWS (2:15, 2:17, 7:41)
or
hOI PARA TOU <proper name>

In those verses the reason why they are with the king or with a person is
not friendship or a blood relation - it is more or less a professional
reason. But even that is not in the text - the greek simply states that
these people are with someone, and no reason is given.

Cees van Veelen,
                                     Internet: cvveelen@ichthus.lifenet.nl