Lying to God?

From: Apokrisis1@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 02 1997 - 12:11:05 EST

<< > From: Martin Arhelger <martin.arhelger@metronet.de>

> Acts 5:3 - 4: Peter said: "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to
 lie
> to the Holy Spirit ... You have not lied to men but to God." Acts 5:9 But
> Peter said to her (that is, Sapphira), "How is it that you have agreed
> together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? ..."
>
> This verses proof, that Peter had a clear awareness of a Holy Spirit
 being
> a) a person (How could Ananias have lied to a thing or force ?) >>

I have never been impressed with this argument, for it seems to ignore the
fact that Ananias actually lied to Peter, who was himself filled with the
spirit, and thus he was able to discern that Ananias was lying. Because Peter
had God's spirit within him, for Ananias to lie to Peter was the same as
lying to God, who allowed Peter to read Ananias' heart.

1 Thessalonians 4:8 is helpful here, hO ATHETWN OUK ANTHRWPON ATHETEI **ALLA
TON THEON TON DIDONTA TO PNEUMA AUTOU TO hAGION EIS hUMAS**.