Re: Phil 3:15

From: John M. Sweigart (jsweiger@CSWNET.COM)
Date: Wed Dec 03 1997 - 11:20:33 EST

Carl William Conrad wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Kevin and Sandi Anderson wrote:
>
> > I have read that Phil 3:15a ought to be translated, "Therefore, as many as
> > _will be_ [instead of _are_] perfect...." I am not so much interested in the
> > interpretive vagaries elicited by this suggestion (although if anybody wants
> > to pursue them I would be happy to sit back and watch the fireworks) as I am
> > interested in knowing whether anyone can recall other instances where a
> > predicate nominative may be reasonably translated in something other than
> > the present tense.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin L. Anderson
>
> I would guess that the only reason anybody suggests assuming a future
> perfect (a rare enough tense in the first place; I think I've only noted
> three or four in over 35 years of reading Greek--and there is no future
> perfect for EIMI--perhaps GENHSOMEQA is assumed?)--to begin again, the
> only reason anybody would suggest a future or future perfect would be
> because they understand TELEIOI to mean "perfect." While there are
> contexts where the word can carry that meaning, it probably has the sense
> "mature" here--"grown-up" as opposed to 'still childish in one's
> thinking." So I think the point of Paul's statement is rather that, if we
> are mature, or those of us who are mature, ought to take this attitude ...
>
> Carl W. Conrad
> Department of Classics, Washington University
> One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO, USA 63130
> (314) 935-4018
> cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu OR cwc@oui.com
> WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/
Carl;
Any chance that TELEOI is related to OT TAMIM meaning blameless, i.e.
God's command to Abraham "Walk before me and be blameless" with its ANE
covenantal and treaty implications?

--

Rev. John M. Sweigart Box 895 Dover, Arkansas 72837 Cumberland Presbyterian Church __________________________________