Re: Gospel of Thomas, logion 10

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 1997 - 22:10:42 EST

At 05:08 12/1/97 -0800, Jane Harper wrote:
>I am aware that the only complete text of Thomas we have is in Coptic ... but
>does anyone on this list know what the underlying Greek might be for
Logion 10?
> I'm interested in doing a word study on "casting fire on the world" and I
>haven't taken Coptic. Yet.

The Greek text for this logion in Thomas is not extant, since the Oxyrhynchus
papyri comprise only sayings 1-7, 24-33, 36-39, and 70. However, the Coptic
text includes transliterations of Greek words, e.g. KOSMOS in logion 10.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
scarlson@mindspring.com              : and songs chant the words.