Re: MIAJ GUNAIKOJ ANDRA - I Tim. 3:2

From: Kevin and Sandi Anderson (crossroads@sprynet.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 1997 - 09:17:24 EST

It is often noted that 1Tim 5:9 instructs widows to remain hENOS ANDROS GUNH
("a one man woman"), i.e., remaining celebate/unmarried after having become
a widow. The expression in 5:9 seems to be a precise corollary with that in
3:2: MIAS GUNAIKOS ANDRA. Therefore, it has been argued that, since
polyandry was not common enough in the Roman world to fall under a general
proscription (and 5:9 does not appear to offer such anyway), the phrase in
3:2 surely cannot be a proscription of polygyny. But although polygamy may
not be the intended target of these verses, it does appear to be logically
excluded. If marriage after widowhood was not countenanced, then how could
the marriage to multiple partners be? Given the trajectory of tradition in
the early church (e.g., cf. Tertullian's treatise on celibacy), these
passages seem to refer to strict marital fidelity to one's ONE spouse, even
after his/her death.

Kevin L. Anderson
Ph.D. Student
London Bible College/Brunel University