Re: MIAJ GUNAIKOJ ANDRA - I Tim. 3:2

From: Tombivins (Tombivins@aol.com)
Date: Sun Dec 07 1997 - 10:27:53 EST

In a message dated 97-12-05 10:41:26 EST, Trevor Peterson wrote:

<< I'm wondering though whether the language really indicates what
 Mr. Collver seems to think it indicates. The construction quoted above
 (from Matt 19:6, I presume) is MH + a present active imperative third
 person singular from CWRIZW. Now, my question is whether this
 construction indicates entirely the opposite of what Mr. Collver
 suggests--namely, that if a man is commanded not to separate what God has
 joined, Jesus is implicitly saying that it is in fact possible for a man
 to do so. Otherwise, why would He issue a command against it? Instead,
 I would expect an indicative to define the fact that man does not (and
 cannot) separate the marriage bond. >>

The construction in verse 8 gives insight into why APOLUSHi was allowed by
God even though his original command hoped for more. PROS THN PROS THN
SKLHROKARDIAN HUWN gives the reason why God allowed the aorist infinitive
active construct APOLUSHi found later in the verse.

Tom Bivins
Orlando, Florida