Re: Current material on KJ/TR controversy

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Tue Dec 09 1997 - 08:06:00 EST

>I have become interested in the KJ/TR/Critical Text issue, and would like
>to locate the best current information. Can anyone suggest relatively
>new books, articles, etc.?

I am on the road right now, without access to my books, so I can't really
give you the references you asked for until Friday. By then, you will
probably have your answers from the list.

However, I would like to point out that the King James is a translation,
not an issue; similarly, the Textus Receptus is one critical text, not an
issue. (Actually, there have been several TRs, so even if you decide that
the TR is the One True Text, you still have to figure out *which* TR, and
since the King James translators used several different Greek texts in
their translation, deciding on any one TR doesn't quite solve that problem
either...)

So the real issue is figuring out how we can best determine what the
original Greek text said, and how we can best translate it into English.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons