Classical Greek Text

From: Revcraigh (Revcraigh@aol.com)
Date: Sat Dec 06 1997 - 12:57:29 EST

I learned my Greek as an under grad, some 23 years ago, from Mr. Machen. For
all the disparagement I have heard regarding Machen and his made up Greek and
stiff English, he got me to learning. Later, I met other seminary students who
had learned Classical Greek first, then took NT Greek for sem. This course of
study made really good sense to me (Classic first, Koine second) but it wasn't
an option where I learned Greek. They had been trained with Crosby-Schaffer
in Classic. Well, I bought a copy (of Crosby-Schaffer) thinking that I would
work through it at some time in the future. The time is now. My question is:
Has anybody had experience learning/teaching from C-S and, if so, what is your
opinion of it as a text? I will be doing self-study. Is there another, readily
available, text that might be better than C-S for self-study?

I know that this question is not really pertinent to GNT study per se so I
don't expect to create a thread on list but if some of you could mail me
privately, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks and God's blessings,
Rev. Craig R. Harmon.