Re: Chiasm in Matt 7:6?

From: Thomas Bond (lpbond@pld.net)
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 10:53:12 EST

Andrew Kulikovsky wrote:

> I always understood chiasm as a rhetorical device used by the author to
> emphasize a point, which is usually set in the centre of the chiasm.
> However, in this case there seems to be no logical focus on a central
> point - so I would doubt whether this really is a chiasm...

I would qualify this statement a bit. I don't necessarily think chiasm
was
just a rhetorical device used to emphasize a point, but was a way of
ordering thoughts. As a way of structuring thought, or communicating
thought, a chiasmus would be used to indicate what items relate to each
other, rather than just what is at focus.

Philippians 3:10, 11 is an example of this (Sorry I do not have my GNT
with
me):
    A -- I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection;
        B, -- [I want to know Christ] and the sharing of his sufferings;
        B' -- by becoming like him in his death;
    A' -- if somehow I might attain the resurrection from the dead.

In the overall context of Philippians, I believe this to indicate that
Paul
perceived his sharing in "suffering," i.e. imprisonment, to be, in
effect,
like Christ's death (see 2:5ff.) -- B and B'.

However, occasionally there will appear a chiasmus with an A, B, C, B',
A'
structure. In this case, I it is important to understand C as the focus
of
a particular pericope, the point to be highlighted. I think an example
of
this can be found in 1 Cor. 11:17-22:
    A -- I do not commend you, vs. 17;
        B -- There are divisions, vs. 18;
            C -- the "genuine," vs. 19;
                D -- your meals are not the Lord's Supper, vs. 20;
            C' -- the drunk and hungry, vs. 21;
        B' -- contempt for the church, vs. 22a;
    A' -- I do not commend you, vs. 22b.

In this case the chiasmus helps understand the focus of the problem --
the
community meal. Paul did not consider their meal to be the Lord's
Supper
because of they manner in which they met.

Sometimes I think a chiasmus has to be supported on exegetical grounds,
as
well as become a supportive part of exegesis. They are not always
crystal
clear, sometimes a slippery slope. An example of a very clear chiasmus
is
Philippians 1:15-18a.

> When we read "The sabbath was not made for man but man for the sabbath",
> it is obvious that man is the focus here (the context also suggests this
> is the case).

I don't think this is a good example of a chiasmus. It seems to me that
it
is more of a parallelism of some kind.

Thomas Bond
lpbond@pldi.net