Beginner question

From: Steve L. Durfee (sdurf@tesser.com)
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 10:27:37 EST

Dear listmembers,

Please forgive a question which is probably well-known to most members of the list, and respond off-list if this has been discussed recently -- I haven't followed this group for a few years.

While reading Mark the other night, I was brought up short at Mark 8:12.

AMHN LEGW, EI DOQHSETAI THI GENEA TAUTHI SHMEION.

This is Jesus' much-discussed statement that no (great) sign of power will be shown to this generation. Every translation I have says the same thing.

Can someone tell me what information is contained in this verse that convinces translators unanimously that it is negative (that is, there is no OU or MH as in the parallel passages)? It must be something I haven't learned (a Hebraism perhaps?). Sure wish I had the UBS handbook for Mark.

Thanks for any responses,

Steve

s\durf@tesser.com without the anti-spamming '\'