Re: 1 Thessalonians 5:23

From: John M. Moe (John.M.Moe-1@tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 10 1997 - 07:22:24 EST

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> "Definitely and unquestionably" are pretty strong words, but I'll stick with the argument that Rolf suggested and that I supported, that hOMOKLHRON here is predicative and adjectival. I note that Accordance also lists it as a noun, but I nevertheless really think it is an adjective, agreeing, to be sure, with the first neuter subject PNEUMA, but nevertheless used predicatively, i.e., adverbially. Here's what Louw and Nida say:
>
> 59.30 hOLOKLHROS, ON: a totality, with special emphasis upon the entity as a whole - 'whole, entire.' KAI HOLOKLHRON hUMWN TO PNEUMA KAI hH YUCH KAI TO SWMA AMEMPTWS ... THRHQEIH 'and may he keep Š your entire being, spirit, soul, and body, without blame' 1Th 5:23. In a number of languages it may be difficult to speak of 'your entire being.' A substitute expression in 1Th 5:23 may be 'yourselves as one person.'
>
> What I believe they are doing here is offering a translation in good English, reversing the subject and the Greek passive to an English active construction, yet the last entry there, 'yourselves as one person', does, I think, view the construction as Rolf and I have argued it.

I know that Kittel's TDNT is not held in high regard by many on this list but I call attention to Foerster's article (3:767) which includes the following sentence in a paragraph discussing this use of hOLOKLHROS at 1Th. 5:23.

"The predicative hOLOKLHRON, which embraces all three nouns, expresses the hope that the Thessalonians, each as a totality, may remain unaffected by evil in every respect."

This too seems in full agreement with the view expressed by Carl and Rolf.

John M. Moe