Re.: AV/TR/MT/CT Debate

From: Rod Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 14:51:25 EST

Ted asked:
> I have another request: Can you suggest material representing the
>most reasoned, balanced defense of the KJV Only viewpoint? (I assume that
>such material exists.) In the interest of decent research, it seems to
>me I should devote some consideration to both sides of the issue.

If I take your request strictly (i.e., "KJV Only"), there I'd have to say
that there is nothing that meets your criteria ("reasoned, balanced
defense"). :)

More probably what you want is a defense of the Majority/Byzantine text
position. For that there is some respectable material. Wilbur Pickering's,
"The Identity of the NT Text" is the best and most complete. (Also be sure
to read D. A. Carson's review of Pickering in the appendix to Carson's "KJV
Debate.") There is a more recent book by Letis (see Kevin's msg.) that I
have not read, though from what I have heard it is not as good as
Pickering. The other things that you ought to read are the introductions to
both Hodges & Farstad's and Robinson & Pierpont's editions of The Majority
Text (2 diff. vols.). The exchange of articles on the subject between Zane
Hodges and Gordon Fee in JETS is also worth reading: "Modern Textual
Criticism and the Revival of the Textus Receptus," JETS 21 (1978): 19-33,
143-55, 157-60; 161-64.

I'm not sure that Burgon's material is worth a great deal of attention
since it is now so dated. The other vol. that has been recommended, Sturtz,
is not really a majority text position--although he gives if considerably
greater credibility than most of us do these days.

Rod

 Rodney J. Decker Baptist Bible Seminary
 Asst. Prof./NT P O Box 800
 rdecker@bbc.edu Clarks Summit PA 18411
 http://www.bbc.edu/courses/BBS/RDecker/Index.htm USA
 Above link is temporarily 'broken'--IS has been at it again! :)