Re: Papyrus Egerton 2

From: Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 11 1997 - 08:45:27 EST

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Trevor M Peterson wrote:

> This may be a bit off-topic, but does anyone have any information on
> Papyrus Egerton 2? It's a fragment of what appears to be an apocryphal
> gospel, reported to show signs of both Johannine and Synoptic influence
> (although there seems to be debate over the direction). I've been able
> to find some German articles, but unfortunately my German's a bit rusty.
> Does anyone have any info. to share or reference? Basically, I was able
> to get the Greek text from the German article (out of Novum Testamentum,
> I think), so I'm pretty much looking for more critical information either
> for or against the idea that it is a source for the canonical gospels.
> I'd appreciate any help, and if it seems that this doesn't really fit the
> list format, by all means respond off list.

Trevor,

You'll find a great deal of what you need to know, as well as the text of
P. Egerton 2, in the edittions of _The New Testament Apocrypha_ edited by
Hennecke and Schneemelcher. Be sure to look at the discussions of the text
in both the first and second editions of this work if both are available
to you. As to dicussions of how the Pap. has reputedly influenced synoptic
texts, see the argument made by Dom Crossan in his _Four Other Gospels_. I
don't buy what he says, but his argument is fascinating. And if memory
servers, there is also a discussion on P. E. in Koester's _Ancient
Christian Gospels_ (do I have that title right?).

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu