Re: Mt 24:38 & Lk 17:27

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 09:41:53 EST

At 11:36 AM 12/11/97 -0600, F. Holly Mitchell wrote:

>So I'm understanding Matthew to be referring to actions being taken by
>grooms and fathers of brides, whereas Luke is referring to actions
>which were taken by grooms and brides (well, passively, anyway).

You seem to be assuming that the subject of GAMEW is always a male; i.e.,
that the man marries, and the woman is either taken in marriage or given in
marriage. I don't think this is true. Consider, e.g. 1 Tm 5.14: BOULOMAI
OUN NEWTERAS GAMEIN: 'so I would prefer that the younger widows marry'.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons