Re: BETL?

From: Randy Leedy (rleedy@bju.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 16:11:48 EST

Thanks to Jim West and R.B. McDonald for clearing up my ignorance on
BETL. I now recognize that it is a numbered series of books rather
than a journal, and the number I need is on order and should soon be
on its way via interlibrary loan. I'm looking forward to receiving
this, because it deals with a question I posted to the list a couple
of weeks ago related to the meaning of EIDWLOQUTA in I Cor. 8-10.
Joop F.M. Smit confirms in an article included in this BETL volume
the view of Ben Witherington III (set out in several articles and in
his commentary) that this word can only mean meat eaten at a
sacrificial meal in an idol temple, NOT temple meat sold at market
and consumed privately. Paul deals with the latter issue separately
at the end of chapter 10, after dealing with EIDWLOQUTA in chs.
8-10a. (This is a bit different from Fee, who thinks the MEANING of
the term includes both but that its REFERENCE must be restricted in
chapters 8-10a in order to avoid exegetical problems.)

My interest in this question relates to a forthcoming article in
BJU's journal, and I remain interested in any arguments AGAINST this
view, which has significantly clarified my understanding of this
section of I Corinthians. If I've a blind spot, I'd rather discover
it before it's too late to do any necessary rewriting!

If anyone is familiar with Smit's and Witherington's work and can
comment on any relationship or dependence between them (Witherington
wrote first), I'd appreciate it, as it may be weeks (considering the
upcoming holiday period) before I get that book into my hot little
hands.

In Love to God and Neighbor,
Randy Leedy
Bob Jones University