Re: Language atlas of 1st Century Palestine

From: N D Booth (neilbooth@bbb.ndirect.co.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 15:57:56 EST

Hello Brian

I find what you say very interesting, but I am not sufficiently
knowledgeable on these things to know where the truth might lie. I have
always understood (on the authority of people like J Jeremias and T W
Manson) that the mother-tongue of Jesus was a Galilean version of western
Aramaic, and that the evidence lies in the Aramaic preserved in the logia of
Jesus -- TALIQA KOUM (Mark 5.41); HLWI HLWI LEMA SABACQANI (Mark 15.34);
ABBA (Mark 14.36); BAR (Matt 16.17); KHFAS (John 1.43) etc. Does that
argument no longer carry weight?

Regards

Neil