Stephen's speech in Acts

From: Mary L B Pendergraft (pender@wfu.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 14:31:52 EST

At 01:05 PM 12/17/97 -0500, Edward Hobbs wrote:
>Colleagues:
>
>Clay Bartholomew
.... raises the question:

>"On the subject of Stephen's speech. Has anyone seen a study comparing the
>syntax of Stephen's speech to the rest of Luke/Acts? This idea intrigues me.
>It may be that such a study would not produce any results, but I am wondering
>if some of Stephen's style of speaking has been preserved in Luke's
account so
>that we could compare it to the syntax of Luke/Acts and find distinctions."

I believe that I have read studies, or at least one study, comparing not
the style but the content of Stephen's speech to the Epistle attributed to
Barnabas, and suggesting that they reflect one school of thought in the
early church. As I remember it, the general conclusion was, consequently,
that Luke hadn't created the speech out of whole cloth. Regrettably I'm at
home and not in my office so I can't offer bibliography. Maybe tomorrow!

To apologize for such an unfinished comment, I offer an end-of-term class
story, with the permission and encouragement of my New Testament Greek
students. We had spent the semester on Mark's Gospel and they had become
used to his diminutives: KORASION "little girl" ICHTHYDIA "little fish"
KYNARIA "little dogs." In honor of Christmas we read Matthew and Luke's
infancy narratives and were continuing in Luke at sight. Simeon's hymn
(2.30) became "because my eyes have seen my baby savior"--they were all
convinced until I made them look it up.

Merry Christmas!

Mary Pendergraft

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109 910-759-5331 pender@wfu.edu