Signatures

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 19 1997 - 07:50:58 EST

Inasmuch as I'm one who has urged that people identify themselves in their
messages by some sort of signature and not be "voices of ones crying in the
wilderness," God forbid that I not practice what I preach (however much I
do!). I've discovered, to my chagrin, that the beta version of Eudora Pro
4.0 that I've been using lately did not convert my old signature file and
that my messages have been anonymous, at least to those whose mail system
doesn't read "From:" headers.

Having taken measures to amend that deficiency, let me hasten to add that
in my view the signature is nothing more than a courtesy that personalizes
a message to a mailing list that has too much of the impersonal about it
already, and that it in no way implies that anyone's "credentials" are in
some way less peccable than someone else's.

(signed?)