Re: hOYTOS derogatory?

From: Mark O'Brien (markus@upnaway.com)
Date: Thu Dec 18 1997 - 14:30:02 EST

Edgar--

At 04:34 PM 12/17/97 -0600, you wrote:
>A brief comment on your paragraph below. I recall Saul Levin commenting
>that hOUTOS often, in dialogue, had a negative connotation: "This here
>[fellow]" and in drama may even have been equivalent to a stage direction:
>gesture toward the person indicated. The term does not have to be
>derogatory, but can in context. So you might well translate "This here
>authority of yours"--said with a particular inflection. It pays to think
>orally when reading some texts.

And for the flip-side, perhaps an example of a *positive* use of hOUTOS
might be that found in Jn 1:2? As I was reading this section again in
preparation for a message, I did indeed read it aloud, and could almost
imagine the writer making a gesture towards this LOGOS he had just
introduced in verse 1!

M.

-----
"When we consider a book, we mustn't ask ourselves what it says but what it
means."
                -- Brother William of Baskerville
                        (Umberto Eco, "The Name of the Rose")
-----
Rev. Mark B. O'Brien
Assoc. Pastor, Subiaco Church of Christ, Western Australia

markus@upnaway.com