Re: hOYTOS derogatory?

From: Randy Leedy (RLEEDY@bju.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 19 1997 - 11:47:12 EST

Carl Conrad wrote:

>>>It occurs to me to raise the question--which might not be very
easy to answer--whether this negative connotation of hOUTOS may
either be a Latinism or derive support from the Latin use of ISTE.
<<<

BDF (290.6) connect the two: "hOUTOS appears to be used in a
contemptuous sense (like ISTE) of a person present..."

Somehow this expression strikes me as naturally universal rather than
as an idiom transferred from from one language to another. The
dramatic gesture Edgar (I think it was) referred to seems universal
enough; what better word to accompany it than a demonstrative,
whether nearer ("this") or more remote ("that"), depending on the
exact situation? I think we see this in Hebrew as well; I'm thinking
of Haggai 1:2, "This people say..."

Randy Leedy
RLeedy@bju.edu