Re: Gospels originally written in Hebrew?

From: Jane Harper (jharper@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 1997 - 02:25:05 EST

> to have spoken Hebrew (Acts 22:2; 26:14). Most, or all of the NT writers
> had a Semitic language as their mother tongue, so we must presume there has
> been an extensive translation work occurring in the minds of those writing
> the NT books. To ask for the Hebrew or Aramaic substratum or even the
> original Hebrew/Aramaic clauses behind the Greek text is therefore not
> dependant upon Matthew or others WRITING in Hebrew. In addition to Greek
> word plays is Semittic constructions popping up througout the NT. It is
> therefore good methodology, particularly when the Greek is ambiguous, to
> ask for the Hebrew/Aramaic constructions behind the Greek text.

My instructor's way to keep us on the lookout for Hebraicisms is to say that
the NT was compiled by folks who were writing in Greek, but thinking in
Hebrew/Aramaic.

Jane Harper
The Thomas Christians: Speaking the words of liberation to all!
"I have cast fire on the cosmos, and look! I guard it until it bursts into
flame." (Saying 10)