Re: Matt 4:3 If you are *the* son

From: Paul F. Evans (evans@esn.net)
Date: Sat Dec 20 1997 - 21:39:26 EST

Jeffery,

Could it not be that to make sense of translating the genitive EI hUIOS EI
TOU QEOU requires the definite article in English. I don't think that we
need to resort to hermeneutics in order to discover the reason for its
presence in the English. How the hUIOS in the context is to be understood
is a different matter. My money is on the notion that the noun in a
genitive construction can still have specificity in spite of the absence of
the article, as Fee suggests is true in many construction where Paul uses
PNEUMA. I guess I don't buy into the notion that the absence of the article
automatically means that the noun is "unqualified." However, the experts on
the list will have to adjudicate that!

Paul F. Evans
Pastor
Thunder Swamp Pentecostal Holiness Church
MT. Olive

E-mail: evans@esn.net
Web-page: http://ww2.esn.net/~evans