1 Cor 15:32

From: Rick Strelan (r.strelan@mailbox.uq.edu.au)
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 07:50:14 EST

Is there a Paul list that one can subscribe to?

Meanwhile, I'd be interested in how others understand EQHRIOMACHSA in 1 Cor
15:32. Without rejecting the usual possibilities, I opt for the line that
Paul was sick in Ephesus. Anyone who has been pretty crook will understand
Paul's comment in v 31: KAQ hHMERAN APOQNHiSKW! The hope of the
resurrection also makes sense when one is deadly sick! I know scholars
often talk about the possibility of some inherited or congenital defect in
Paul, like epilepsy or eye-problems etc, but why not consider that there
were times when the guy was just plain sick? He complains elsewhere of
being hungry and thirsty and not having anywhere to sleep; when the body is
not looked after,sickness is not far away.

More suited for a Paul list, so I apologise for that; any comments will be
appreciated.

Rick Strelan
Brisbane