Re: Hebrews 13.5

From: Revcraigh (Revcraigh@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 24 1997 - 14:07:07 EST

Dear Kevin,

>What is the best translation for the greek word aphilagathos in Hebrews
>13.5. Most translate it "free from the love of money", but some like the
>NKJV translate it "without covetousness". Thank you in advance for any
>assistance you can give.

I believe the word to which you refer is actually AFILARGUROS which is made up
of the following words:

A = is the alpha privative which is used to negate the meaning of the word to
which it is attatched;

FIL = is a combining form of FILOS = loved, beloved, dear; and

ARGUROS = the white metal = silver = silver coins or anything made of silver
(also related to the adj. ARGOS = shining)

Thus a FILARGUROS is one who is very fond of money. He is avaricious. He
covets or longs for money and, by extention, the things which money affords.

Therefore, one who is AFILARGUROS does not hold money dear. He is the opposite
of avaricious which would be, I suppose, generous. He does not covet money or
the things it can buy.

So you see, both translations are accurate. "Free from the love of money" is a
more literal translation of the constituent parts of the word AFILARGUROS
while "without covetousness" relates AFILARGUROS to its effect upon the
attitude of the person toward God and His commandments and toward the world
and the things of the world.

So which is better? It depends on whether you favor a literal translation
(which allows the reader to decide on the meaning and aplication of the text)
or what might be called a "dynamic equivalence" translation (which makes such
decisions for the reader).

Probably most of the group members come down rather decidedly on the more
literal side.

May the contemplation of the incarnation of the Son of God made flesh instill
in you steadfast faith, lasting joy, unshakeable peace, and sure hope of
heavenly splendor.

Rev. Craig R. Harmon.

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."