Re: More on the interpretation of the NT

From: Revcraigh (Revcraigh@aol.com)
Date: Sat Dec 27 1997 - 23:10:39 EST

Dear B-Greekers,
In a message dated 12/27/97 5:39:10 PM, Mark wrote:

>However, it is an open question as to how much these affect our
>interpretation. I am of the personal opinion (though I know that there
>are those who disagree, especially among the post-modernists) that these
>can be minimized (and that fairly easily) if they are consciously
>recognized, and if much effort is made to get good at the grammar and to
>learn the historical context of the first century. In other words, to
>your "Yes," I would say, "OK, but to what degree?" This allows me to
>bring up two related points, which I wanted to put in the first post, but
>didn't as it was already too long:

I think the best way to expel one's own preconcieved theological notions is to
read what commentators of various theological backgrounds have to say. If you
come away from your commentary reading with 4 different interpretations of the
text (and defenses of the same), you have the opportunity to examine the
validity of each. You may decide you were right all along, but at least you've
a better grasp of the concept that your's is not the only interpretive
possibility and, if you are going to be honest to your convictions, you will
have to grapple with those other possibilities (show why you believe they are
wrong).

> 2a) Should theology students be taught secular Greek first, in order to
>enable them to bring the text to theology, rather that their theology to
>the text?

A good idea but I doubt it would work. Most of the theological differences
have little to do with what the text says. Rather, I think the difficulty is
in the "scripture interprets scripture" principle that most seminary students
learn. That is, we are taught to think systematically. We are not taught to
allow a text (say, Mark 16:16-17 hO PISTEUSAS KAI BAPTISQEIS SWQHSETAI, hO DE
APISTHSAS KATAKRIQHSETAI.) simply say what it says. We are required to answer
such questions as "What relationship does Baptism bear to faith and salvation
and unbelief and damnation?" A Lutheran (me) and a Baptist will both read the
same words, agree on the lexical, grammatical, syntactical information about
the passage but come away with mutually exclusive answers to the question of
Baptism's relationship to faith and Salvation. Why? Not because we dissagree
about what the Greek says, but what this text means within the wider context
of the Scriptures. To discover this, we are taught that our interpretation of
Mark 16:16-17 must agree (or at least, must not disagree) with the doctrine of
Baptism as a whole as taught in all of the texts dealing with Baptism and
Faith and Salvation. (BTW, I don't disagree with this hermanetical principle,
I just think that it gets in the way of gaining fresh insight to a given
text).

I really think that no matter how much secular Greek my Baptist friend and
myself learn before we apply that learning to Mark 16:16-17, we are never
going to agree about the New Testament teaching on Baptism. If either of us
changed our interpretation, we would be run out of our respective Churches on
the very next rail.

>And if so, classical or Koine?

My vote would be for the program of previous centuries: teach Classical Latin
and Greek on the gradeschool level. Students would be well versed in Greek
before they embarked upon their study of New Testament theology. But try to
find a School system today that would stand for it! One could do it in home, I
suppose, but try to find children today who would stand for it!

> 2b) Is "a little learning a dangerous thing"?

Absolutely, unless, like Socrates, we know that we know nothing. Then we will
continue on a lifelong quest for more knowledge and never be convinced that we
know anything for certain.

>Should theology students
>be taught *more* Greek than they usually are?

I don't know. I don't think any amount of classroom time will be sufficient to
make a Greek scholar. I think the best we can hope for is to equip the student
with the tools for intelectual inquiry and a deep enough sense that they'll
never know it all to take the tools he/she has and make learning Greek a life-
long endeavor.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

May the contemplation of the incarnation of the Son of God made flesh instill
in you steadfast faith, lasting joy, unshakeable peace, and sure hope of
heavenly splendor.

Rev. Craig R. Harmon.

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."