Lk 16:13 (cf 3:23); mng of NOMIZW

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Sat Dec 27 1997 - 12:41:16 EST

I was just comparing Luke's usage of NOMIZW in Luke and Acts. According
to the way he uses NOMIZW it seems the meaning denotes erroneous
supposition or thinking, not just supposition or thinking.

He uses it 9 times. In Lk 2:44 Mary and Joseph NOMISANTES Jesus was in
their company. In Lk 3:23, Jesus was the son of Joseph, as ENOMIZETO.
In Acts 7:25 Moses ENOMIZEN his own people would realize God was using
him to rescue Israel. In Acts 8:20 Simon is rebuked because he thought
he could buy the gift of God with money (ENOMISAS). Acts 14:19 - after
stoning Paul the Jews dragged him outside the city NOMIZONTES him dead.
Acts 16:27 the jailor was about to kill himself NOMIZWN the prisoners had
escaped. Compare also 17:29 and 21:29.

Then we come to 16:13 where Paul and Silas went outside the city gate
expecting (ENOMIZEN) to find a place of prayer. They found some women
gathered there (sounds like modern day prayer meetings, doesn't it?). In
all of Luke's other occurrences of NOMIZW the meaning denotes erroneous
supposition. Is it the same here? Was the gathering of the women not for
the purpose of prayer, but for some other purpose?

Paul Dixon