Re: 3rd declension stems

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Dec 30 1997 - 13:50:22 EST

Carl's breath taking response is enough to convert me into an advocate of rote
memorization. I suspected that there was a complex answer to this question but
I didn't really expect it to be as complex as it is in fact.

It would appear that any suggestion that the stem of a third declension noun
can be "deduced" in a straight forward manner from the genitive singular is
more than just a little misleading. There are so many qualifications that need
to be attached to this "rule" that the rule seems to be of little value.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point