Re: Transliterating Greek for B-Greek

From: Ward Powers (bwpowers@eagles.bbs.net.au)
Date: Fri Dec 26 1997 - 01:25:33 EST

At 16:32 97/12/25 -0500, Edward Hobbs wrote:

> TRANSLITERATING GREEK into ASCII
>
> B-Greek has from the beginning allowed every poster to use
>any scheme he/she found comfortable, since we all could usually
>figure out what text was meant. For those who wish some
>guidance, a generally accepted scheme has evolved on the List,
>with two or three matters still not fully settled.

Edward then set out the standard transliteration scheme, using capitals,
which is recommended for b-greek.

Our thanks, Edward, for the reminder.

Speaking for myself, I find it hard enough to read the transliterated
capitals and change them back in my mind into their Greek form. But after
being on b-greek for quite a while now, I have pretty well mastered this art.

However, some list members use different tranliteration equivalents, still
in capitals, and although they are free to do so, speaking (as I say) for
myself I wish they did not do so, and would adjust to the recommended
conventions of the b-greek list, exactly as Edward set them out. Am I
correct in believing that the tranliteration scheme set out by Edward is in
fact provided to each new member who joins the list, so they have it
available to them?

Then there are some list members who prefer to use lower-case letters for
Greek transliteration, together with various punctuation marks which (I
guess) represent accents and the smooth breathing. Now I recognize, again,
that under b-greek list protocol they are completely free to do so. But I
confess that I skip over reading those posts, because they require me to
learn yet another transliteration scheme (and I am quite content with the
one recommended by Edward for the list).

I am wondering whether there could be others on the list like me, who find
difficulty with these alternate transliterations (especially those that use
the lower-case scheme), and if so whether we should say so, so that those
who do chose to use such other schemes can be aware that as a consequence
they reduce the numbers of those who can read there (otherwise) helpful posts.

And a happy Christmas season and a fruitful New Year to all on the list.

Regards,

Ward

Rev Dr B. Ward Powers Phone (International): 61-2-9799-7501
10 Grosvenor Crescent Phone (Australia): (02) 9799-7501
SUMMER HILL NSW 2130 email: bwpowers@eagles.bbs.net.au
AUSTRALIA.