Re: John 1:18 MONOGENHS QEOS

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1997 - 16:16:47 EST

At 11:07 AM 12/31/97 +0000, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

>Allen Wickgren is the dissenter from the "Gang of Five" (p. 198, Metzger's
>Commentary on the GNT3 1971). Wickgren points out that the nomina sacra for
>UIOS/QEOS which are US/QS, differ only by one letter. He attributes the
>reading QS to a transcription error.

Thanks for pointing this out! According to Metzger:

1. The reading MONOGENHS QEOS is found in both P66 and P75
2. It is likely that MONOGENHS QEOS might be changed to MONOGENHS hUIOS in
assimilation to John 3:16, John 3:18, 1 John 4:9. It is harder to imagine
that a scribe would carelessly change MONOGENHS hUIOUS to MONOGENHS QEOS!
3. It is much more likely that an article would be added in later MSS, for
the sake of clarity, than that it would be deleted

Metzger also points out that some modern commentators see MONOGENHS as a
noun and punctuate to indicate three diffeent designations of the one who
makes God known: he is MONOGENHS, QEOS, and hO WN EIS TON KOLPON TOU
PATROS. I find that intriguing; I'm not quite sure whether I buy it or not.

Wickgren's objection to the high confidence rating for this reading is
based on the belief that MONOGENHS QEOS is not something that the author of
John would have written; he attributes this reading to an early Alexandrian
scribal error, confusing YS for QS.

At any rate, hUIOS is the reading of the TR, which explains why the KJV
translates this "the only begotten Son".

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons