Re: Resource Material

From: Revcraigh (Revcraigh@aol.com)
Date: Sun Dec 28 1997 - 00:58:00 EST

>B-Greekers:
>
>Perhaps some generous listmembers will come to my assistance.
>Can you suggest a good book (or set of books) that explains why various
>grammatical choices were made by the writers of the NT?
>For example: I have been trying to work my way through John, and I
>notice that the verb POREUQW is used in 14:3. My analytical lexicon
>tells me that this is
>aorist-passive-subjunctive. I understand why it is subjunctive, and I
>think I understand why it is aorist, but I fail to grasp why it is
>passive. So that I do not have to continually bother all of you with
>such basic issues, maybe you can recommend a reference work that goes
>through the NT on a pretty much verse by verse basis, explaining such
>matters.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Ted

Your analytical lexicon is correct in so far as it goes. What it apparently
doesn't tell you is that in the New Testament and other Christian literature,
the verb POREUW is found only in middle and passive forms. That is to say,
John wrote POREUQW (passive voice) because the active forms of the verb had
passed out of usage in the language and the passive forms were being used
where we English speakers would normally expect an active form. Such verbs are
called deponent.

One reference work which you might find helpful is *A Grammatical Analysis of
the Greek New Testament* in two volumes. Originally the work of Max Zerwick
(in Latin), the edition I have is translated, revised and adapted by Mary
Grosvenor in collaboration with the author (copyright 1979) and published by
the Biblical Institute Press in Rome.

These volumes go verse by verse, translating and analyzing all words occuring
fewer than 60 times in the New Testament (words occuring more than 60 times
are listed in alphabetical order and translated at the front of each volume).
Grammatical terms used in the text are explained in a Glossary of Grammatical
Terms found also in the front of each volume. In the back of each volume are
paradigms of verbs in Hellenistic forms.

I hardly ever refer to my copy now, but there was a time when I found it
indispensable. There are other works which do basically the same thing as this
one, but this is the only work of its kind that I've used myself.

One caveat, though. It is easy to become overly reliant upon this kind of a
work, using it instead of learning to analyze on your own. It is better to
keep it nearby and refer to it only when you feel you need to check the
correctness of your own analysis. When you find that you cannot analyze a
particular form, or do so incorrectly, it is time to brush up on your forms.

As you progress, you may find that a good reference grammar (not a learning
grammar, such as Machen) will help by providing in depth explanation of such
phenomena. It could take several lifetimes to master a language like Classical
or Koine Greek. In the mean time, it makes sense to have the fruits of someone
elses mastery at hand to which to refer. My (Classical) *Greek Grammar*, by
William W. Goodwin, is long out of print, I suppose. It was given me by an
amazing Greek prof. I once had. He was legally blind. That didn't matter
though, since he could quote whole works, classical and koine, from memory. I
can still see him, seated at the front of the class, eyes closed, rattling off
anything from Homer to Revelation of John. It was clear that he didn't need
the book he gave me at the end of the class. (It was also quite clear that I
did). The Greek Grammar by Smyth is still in print and supposed to be quite
good, although geared toward classical Greek. In the area of Koine Greek, *A
Greek Grammar of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature*
(German original by F. Blass and A. DeBrunner, translated and edited in
English by Robert W. Funk) is pretty much considered THE NT reference grammar
although it assumes a pretty thorough knowledge of Classical usage and
discusses New Testament usage in the ways it varies from Classical. For a
thorough understanding of anything I don't understand in the GNT, I have found
that it is best to look it up in a Classical Grammar such as Goodwin or Smyth
first, then following up in BDF.

Anyway, this may be more info than you wanted at this point. God bless you in
your studies.

May the contemplation of the incarnation of the Son of God made flesh instill
in you steadfast faith, lasting joy, unshakeable peace, and sure hope of
heavenly splendor.

Rev. Craig R. Harmon.

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."